Look Before You Leap
"There is no virtue in tolerating toxic behaviour". - Dr. Phil McGraw
Sometime ago, a young man and I met at an organization, where we got talking and developed some level of friendship. One evening, he called and asked me to date him. I politely declined because I started detecting several things that weren’t right.
After seeing that he couldn’t get through to me, he hissed and cut the call. To say I was surprised was an understatement. Anyway, I received several calls and messages from him few weeks later. But guess what? He didn’t for once, acknowledge what he had done. Well, he’s been forgiven but, that chapter is closed.
And since the typical me likes to ruminate situations, I realised that due to one reason or the other, most people defend those who disrespect or dehumanise them. I even heard of a lady who took pride in the fact that her boyfriend beats her. And she said he was doing so because he loved her. Really?
Well, the truth is, most people ignore tell-tale signs not knowing that, what happens in courthip, is amplified in marriage.
In wrapping this up, letting others dehumanise and disrespect you, can result in the damage of your body or soul. Therefore, open your eyes to these signs in any form of relationship you are in, and confront them early on.
Till the next post, keep learning.