On Emotions
Photo Source: Google
“How you react emotionally is a choice in any situation.” – Judith Orloff
Sometime ago, a dear one confronted me for not being the emotional type. Not too long, someone else told me the same thing. And I could understand what they meant by this (and I try to work on some of those things I can change). But if they had said I had no emotions, I would have countered that because I am a spirit who has a soul and lives in a body. And my emotion is of part of my soul.
Nevertheless, as I thought about this, I realise that there was more to emotions than just crying and being touchy-feely. And as much as we are to connect to our emotions, being able to control our emotions depicts emotional intelligence.
Knowing that there is a whole lot to emotions than crying, some few examples where emotional intelligence can be seen are: being able to manage your emotions when you are in disagreement with someone; being able to control your emotions when it comes to spending (when you try to make yourself feel good by spending beyond normal), or being able to control yours ‘fears’ instead of letting them rule you.
Still, there should be a balance. Bottling up your emotions to the point where you feel depressed, ready to blow up or transfer aggression all in the name of being strong won’t do it. In fact, because you’re hardened doesn’t mean you’re strong. So, deal with your emotional issues before they deak with you. And sometimes, you might need to go through therapy.
In all, I know being emotionally sound might not seem easy (especially where people are concerned) but, we could intentionally work towards it.
Till the next post, keep learning.