Focus: When AI almost became a throne

                                                Photo source: Freepik

“A tool can help you, but it must never lead you. When a resource replaces the Source, focus has been lost.” - Olaseinde Tobiloba Damilare 

Last year during my retreat, the word I received for the year was “FOCUS.” And honestly, I didn’t understand it. I had goals. I had prayer points.
I had things I wanted God to help me achieve.
So when He whispered “Focus,” my heart quietly said, “Focus on what?”

I didn’t put my mind to it deeply. I assumed He meant I should focus on my goals. But I later learned something important: When God gives you a word, don’t run away with your own interpretation.

Stay. Sit. Ask Him what He means. Because what God says is spiritual, and what we assume is usually human.

So, months passed.

Then one day, as I was returning from a program, the Holy Spirit reminded me again: “FOCUS.”
This time He explained: “There are certain situations this year that will try to shift your eyes away from Me. Even good things… activities, service, responsibilities… like Martha, you may become ‘careful and troubled about many things. You become so busy, you don’t have time for the important things or a genuinely intimate relationship moment with God. That’s the Pharaoh strategy. Even good things can become an idol. I do not negate the fact that all the things you have or want to have are important but don’t let them take your focus away from God.

Moving forward, I discovered AI could do things I never imagined. I was amazed. I was fascinated. I was almost mesmerized.

Slowly, without knowing it, I began to look to AI the way a person looks to something they trust too much. Almost to the point of honour even idolatry. Then, the Lord reminded me again: FOCUS.

And I understood. The word wasn’t about goals.
It was about guarding my gaze. The enemy doesn’t need to attack your faith directly.
He just needs to distract you long enough.

And I realized I had almost let a tool become a throne. A resource almost became a source. Just like years back when I used to discuss with an apostate, thinking I was “helping” him — not knowing I was losing my stance in God.
But mercy found me. The Holy Ghost sealed me.

Small things can shift your heart if you’re not focused. Small wonders can replace childlike faith.
Small fascinations can replace intimacy with God.

So, more than survival, more than skill, more than intelligence — discern the times. 

In the middle of everything, AI itself told me something I’ll never forget: “Use me… don’t serve me.”

So, here are lessons I learnt from this:
1. God is my Source; AI is just a resource: Tool can help you. But they must never lead you.

2. Check your dependence. Ask yourself: “If this tool disappears today, will I still pray? Will I still think? Will I still create?” If the answer is no, something else is sitting on the throne.

3. Set boundaries: Use technology but don’t let it use you. Make decisions by the Spirit, not by the algorithm.

4. Pray before you act. A simple whisper: “Holy Spirit, breathe on this and confirm it.” This keeps God as the final voice.

5. Feed on the Word more than data: AI can give information. Only the Spirit gives revelation. 

6. Keep wonder in the right direction: It’s okay to be impressed by what tools can do. But be more amazed at Who God is.

7. Use AI to multiply your gifts, not replace them: Your voice, your hands, your creativity — that’s your divine signature. No machine carries your breath.

At the end of everything, remember this: AI is a servant. God is the Master. AI is a resource. God is the Source. AI can assist. Only God can lead.

So anytime you use any tool, any resource, any platform — whisper: “This can help me. But my help comes from the Lord.”

And let your heart return to the place of true focus: FIXED on God

Till the next post, keep learning.

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage Beyond the Wedding Day: Lessons from a Lagos Roadside Encounter

Gratitude

Welcome Note