Prepared in secret

                            Photo source: Divine123 victory on vecteezy.com

Quote: “Keep preparing in private. When your moment comes, let it find you ready.” -Olaseinde Tobiloba Damilare

When I was in secondary school, our English teacher asked the class a question that nobody could answer except me. Normally, I hardly answered questions in class then because the seemingly “bright” or popular students were usually the ones called upon, even when other students raised their hands. 

So after asking the class repeatedly and getting no answer on this particular day, the teacher was almost giving up. Maybe he noticed my raised hand and the eagerness on my face, so he finally called me. And to everyone’s surprise, I got the answer right. The word was “anonymous.” My classmates were shocked because I barely spoke in class, and even some of the students considered very intelligent could not answer it. They asked me how I knew it, and I remembered I had seen the word earlier on my parent’s phone.

But looking back now, I think something deeper happened that day: time and chance met preparation even though I didn’t really prepare for it as a student should. 

Now, I’m not saying you should intentionally hide yourself or bury your gifts. I’m simply saying that life has moments. There are seasons when preparation happens quietly underground before public recognition comes. When something is not properly prepared and is presented too early, sometimes it loses honour. Your moment of shine will come. The question is: will it meet you prepared? Sometimes people don’t see the little things you do, yet you are working quietly behind the scenes. Don’t let that discourage you.

You may sacrifice deeply for people and still not be acknowledged. Your spouse may say, “You’ve never done anything for me,” forgetting the times you showed up for them in ways that mattered. Your relatives may forget the help you gave them during difficult moments. You might even give your last money to support someone’s medical bill, only to later hear during a family discussion that you have “never contributed anything.” Let it slide. Not every sacrifice will be publicly applauded. Keep preparing in private. Keep working even when nobody is watching.

Work like you are in front of an audience, even when the room is empty. That mindset frees you from eye service and teaches consistency. There is a level of preparation required before greatness can carry weight. Take pancakes for example. The level at which they are cooked determines whether they are truly ready to be served. If they are taken off too early, they may look fine on the outside but remain undone within. In the same way, some people want visibility before preparation is complete. That might lead to disaster. Don’t rush the process. Be cooked properly.

Till the next post, keep learning. 

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage Beyond the Wedding Day: Lessons from a Lagos Roadside Encounter

Gratitude

Welcome Note